Eastney Electric Theatre/The Regal/Essoldo/Tivoli

Eastney Road, Portsmouth


The Regal/Essoldo, Eastney, originally the Eastney Electric Theatre, was opened in October 1910, the licence was transferred several times between different people, renovation took place between October 1931 and February 1932, when it reopened under the name of Regal, after re-equipping with new Ernemann III projectors and Western Electric sound system. In December 1945, after being closed and used during the war as a store for furniture removed from bombed houses, it reopened as the Tivoli (Portsmouth) Ltd. It closed in 1963.